Lightroom

Fivedeed

Lightroom

Post by Fivedeed » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi Guys !

I'm wondering if someone will be able to help me please with an issue that's suddenly cropped up on my Lightroom 4. I'm on an iMac by the way ...

I'm hoping that all versions will run the same regarding my issue - so I will appreciate any help despite what version you have ...

I've always imported photos from an SD card. I choose to import under the 'copy as DNG' heading.
It normally takes a little while for them to upload - and I happily get on with my editing.

The last SD card I entered uploaded within seconds and then the photo previews came up as missing when I removed the SD card. I think that I had altered the menu settings inadvertently. I'm going to try to sort out how to deal with this particular batch of photos - as Lightroom won't let me import them again ( major issue !) as I have tried to solve it alone and made a 'right hash up of it ' !!

What I'm looking for is a screenshot of the whole import screen and menu settings ideally ( or description of what your import screen looks like) before you press the Import button. I'm hoping that you import from an SD card too ... I can then compare it with mine and see what has changed to cause my problem.

Unfortunately when I look in my manual and look online - nothing shows me that original starting point :?:

I'm hoping one of you can rescue me - as I cannot risk another import until it's sorted. I don't want another batch of missing photos.

Thanks
Amanda x

Ian-Raymant

Re: Lightroom

Post by Ian-Raymant » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi Amanda,

My method - hope it helps.

I use my MAC desktop as my file handler and copy all files from my SD card [JPEG & CR2 raw] to a folder or folders on the hard drive as soon as I return home from a trip. I then back up 2 copies to portable hard drives.
Using the JPEGS for a quick review of the images - I'll delete the dross [JPEG & CR2].
Everything is then as safe as possible.

I import to Lightroom from the folder or folders stored on the hard drive, exporting my completed image back to that same folder. I dont use Lightroom to store images.
It may just be that the MAC is confused in someway, perhaps shutting down all apps and a restart will clear it.
If you have access to a second machine, MAC or PC it may be worth interrogating the SD card in Preview of File Explorer to check the content.

I'll be at home this evening if you need a hand, 07872 932619, your welcome to call round or I can come to you with a MACBook if thats easier.

Hope you haven't lost the files.
My turn to drive tomorrow, would you like a lift ?

Regards - Ian.

Fivedeed

Post by Fivedeed » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks Ian,

Your method is quite a lot different to mine - sounds like a more sensible one to be honest !

im going to see if anyone imports straight into Lightroom before I try anything new. I'm sure I have pressed something by mistake.

Thanks for your offer of help. My boiler isn't working, so I think I'm going to have to decamp to my partners house soon !

I will be going tomorrow-so would like a lift please ...

Thanks again

Amanda x

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi Amanda

I use a later version of LR so don't know if this will help but I attach a screen shot of my import screen. Phil
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 17.21.46.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 17.21.46.png (199.8 KiB) Viewed 2479 times