Slice Group Display

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:06 pm

I am preparing a Progress Report on this project.

Printing. I can offer to print, but I would like to know if any other members are in a position to print the images (A4 size) at a suggested rate of £1.50 per print to cover costs. If so please let me know what paper you could offer. There will be an ongoing need for printing.

Mount cutting. Similarly I can cut the mounts but I would like to know if any other members are in a position to do so at a suggested rate of £1.60 per mount. This operation will be a one off.

Please let me know asap. Thanks.

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:12 pm

[image][/image]
IMG_0889.jpg
IMG_0889.jpg (139.34 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
Here it is, for those who have not been able to get to the Slice recently.

Trevor
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:39 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by Trevor » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Great job Phil well done.

Trevor

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:04 am

For those members not at the recent October meeting, we decided that the next theme for the Group Display would be 'insects' which is of course also the theme for our November meeting. What's more we are asked to bring our insect images not as files on memory sticks for projection but as prints, so that fits perfectly with the GD project. A reminder that the idea of the GD is to showcase our activities as a group in as inclusive a way as possible. This means that for the next GD priority will be given to members who were not included in the current display - David, Gwyn, Graham, Jonathan, Alison and Jim. So looking forward to seeing your insects.

BTW are spiders insects? Entomologists would doubtless say no but I suggest we give them honorary insect status for our photographic purposes.

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Following the November meeting I now have a number of insect prints suitable for the Group Display which is due to be refreshed in January. But I need more, so if you didn't leave me a print after the meeting, please bring any suitable insect prints along to the next meeting on 13 December. By suitable I mean A4 landscape without a mount. Or if you don't have a print, send me a file, preferably before the meeting.

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:25 pm

IMG_1081.jpg
Slice Group Display 2
IMG_1081.jpg (57.69 KiB) Viewed 1856 times


The new Group Display is now in place at the Slice. We didn't quite manage to get 10 images from 10 different members but we got close with 9 members contributing. :)

Jim Spurgeon
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by Jim Spurgeon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:18 pm

Just made my first ever visit to The Slice. I must say that there are some fantastic images on display guys and girls (but really I didn't expect anything less). ☺

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks for that Jim. Hope to see your images up there very soon

Jim Spurgeon
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by Jim Spurgeon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:51 pm

10th February Ian and I plan to go and hang 5 images from myself.

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Great. I look forward to it.

creativeadmin
Site Admin
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by creativeadmin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:11 pm

From Phil
Group Display III - subject: 'Signs of Spring' - proposed hanging date: Friday 20 April 2018; deadline for offers of images: as soon as possible, for submission of files: 10 April. If you prefer to print your own, remember to print "A4" - more precisely to fit a mount aperture - landscape only - of 283mm wide by 198mm high, i.e your printed areas needs to be a fraction bigger than that, say 293 x 208. If you can bring any prints to the March meeting (21st) or the April meeting (18th) that would be helpful. Hopefully we will have ten offers from 10 different members, but please offer a second image if you can, just in case...Priority to members who have not yet taken part in a Group Display.

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Tue May 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks to the following ten members for the ten images of Signs of Spring for GD3, now on display at the slice: Ian, Lisa, Karen, Hilary, Elaine, Robert, Phil, Bruce, Colin and Jim
Attachments
GD3.jpeg
Slice Group Display 3 - Signs of Spring
GD3.jpeg (166.59 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:46 pm

You may have noticed that Summer has arrived, so no surprise then that the current Group Display (GD3) with the Signs of Spring theme is now due for renewal. The new theme, for GD4, you will recall, is Macro/Close up. Hopefully the June meeting will have provided plenty of inspiration and a good crop of suitable images, but please send any Macro/Close up images you have even if they were not the product of that meeting.

So just to remind you, the ideal is to have ten images by ten different members. The first step is for you to select one or, preferably, two or three suitable images. then email them to me asap. They must be in landscape format and printable as A4 i.e 5 x 7 height to width ratio. Once I have all the offers in (the deadline is Tuesday 17 July, but please send images asap) I will be able to put together the panel and go ahead with printing, ready to hang hopefully on Friday 20th.

Any suggestions for a GD5 theme?

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:23 am

Well perhaps that was too ambitious! The deadline has come and gone and I have had offers from only five members - thanks to them.

So the deadline is extended by a week to Monday 23 July in the hope (and expectation) that another five members will be able to come forward with a macro or close up for the Group Display.

See you tonight.

Phil

User avatar
Lisa
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by Lisa » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:06 am

Hi Phil,
I've just come back from my hols so couldn't meet your deadline but will have something for you later today when I look at my macro images for tonight's meeting.

PerrinM
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PerrinM » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:33 am

Hi
I might be able to get something for Monday. I will have a go over the weekend and send it. If to late then no worries or if no good.
Thank you to all those that have sent kind wishes. Much appreciated.
Michele

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:16 pm

Today GD3 - Signs of Spring - came down and was replaced by GD4 - Macro / Close up. Pleased to say that in the end we achieved the aim of ten images from ten different members. Many thanks to all of you who offered images whether or not they form part of the final panel. Remember this is not a competition and the criterion for selection (when more images are offered than the ten required) is not 'the best' but rather those that make for a balanced panel and showcase the work of as many members as possible. My thanks to Joe and Bruce who helped out once they'd finished their own hanging tasks. Hope you can get into the Slice soon and see for yourselves our very creditable Group display.
Attachments
IMG_1714.jpg
IMG_1714.jpg (236.24 KiB) Viewed 1150 times

Jim Spurgeon
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by Jim Spurgeon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:19 am

A great selection. It shows a diverse range of what Marco photography can cover.

User avatar
Redbloodcorpuscle
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by Redbloodcorpuscle » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:40 pm

Do we need to make an appointment to hang my Photos or just turn up at about 3:30 and say what we are doing? What day of the week do we avoid?

Trevor
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:39 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by Trevor » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:51 am

Looks really good Phil, nice selection.
Trev

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Looking ahead to GD5 (due to materialise around the end of the year), we recently decided on 'Abstract' as the theme. However, unlike Theresa May, I am inviting you to have second thoughts. As with the recent oil on water theme It is great when the theme for the GD follows on from a theme we have all worked with for a monthly meeting. So, along with your coastal and long exposure shots, please bring along to this month's meeting (Wednesday 19th - i.e. in just two days' time) your Water Droplet shots from last month's meeting. Hopefully we'll be able muster 10 half decent shots between us which would make a great GD5.

User avatar
Redbloodcorpuscle
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by Redbloodcorpuscle » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:05 am

Still in Turkey on holiday so will miss the meeting.

Bruce

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Looked in at Slice today and Lagi pointed out some slight damage to a couple of our Group Display exhibits. It appears that the air conditioning unit which sits just above the GD went into overtime during the exceptionally hot weather we had a little while back and as a result it spewed out some sort of noxious liquid which dribbled down the wall and onto a couple of our photos. Actually the only noticeable marks are confined to the mount rather than the print itself of just one photo. Fortunately i have a spare mount and will get in asap and change it over.

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display - GD5

Post by PhilBrew » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Another sale - Lisa sold one recently - but not from her own display. It was her macro shot of the cogs inside a watch from the current GD4 - so a first! Well done Lisa. Of course the gap had to be filled asap so i reprinted the watch image and by dint of careful scraping with a sharp blade even managed to salvage the slightly marked mount I referred to in my Sept 18 post. I was able to use a spare frame bought at the time of the initial purchase of the ten black frames used for the GD, so in fairly short order the missing picture was replaced. (Lai smilingly commented 'I hope the person who bought it doesn't come in and see it's back!')

Time to be thinking about GD5. Remember we decided to make water droplets the theme. I'd like to get this done by the end of this month, so could those of you who have water droplet shots please let me have them asap but by Monday 19 November at the latest. Remember they need to be in landscape format. Send them by email at a resolution of at least 240ppi. We may be hard pushed this time to achieve our ideal of 10 shots from 10 different members so please send multiple shots if you have them.

Phil

PhilBrew
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Slice Group Display

Post by PhilBrew » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:26 am

Just a reminder about my invitation to send me your water droplet images...

Time to be thinking about GD5. Remember we decided to make water droplets the theme. I'd like to get this done by the end of this month, so could those of you who have water droplet shots please let me have them asap but by Monday 19 November at the latest. Remember they need to be in landscape format. Send them by email at a resolution of at least 240ppi. We may be hard pushed this time to achieve our ideal of 10 shots from 10 different members so please send multiple shots if you have them.

So far I've had images from Colin and Jim.....

Post Reply