The Slice Gallery Permanent Exhibition

Fivedeed

The Slice Gallery Permanent Exhibition

Post by Fivedeed » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:10 pm

The Slice Meeting - 2/3/16

Apologies for the length of this post -however - lots of info to impart re our upcoming permanent exhibition at The Slice Cafe !

5 members of the proposed Slice Exhibition met at The Yew Tree in Gt Horkesley on Wednesday 2nd March in order to discuss proposals and a plan of action -:

Members Present :

Graham
Trevor
Colin
Lisa
Amanda

The following is a summary of all the important points -:

1 - Hanging date - Thursday 17th March @ 2pm.

PLEASE CAN CONTRIBUTORS ARRANGE FOR THEIR IMAGES TO BE PRINTED AND READY TO HANG FOR THIS DATE.

This is the day after our next CCS meeting ...

The hanging committee so far consists of Colin, Lisa & Trevor and myself - we are hoping that other contributors will be able to join us to hang their images. If this is not possible, please post accordingly on the forum so that we can address this. Any arrangements you make for someone else to hang your images would include the need for framed images to be brought to the March CCS meeting -so please prepare yourself in readiness ...

2 - I have done a thorough recce of the cafe today in order to measure up walls and have informed Laggi, the owner, of the hanging date of Thurs 17th. He is happy for us to proceed and if he is not about, his brother George will be ...

3 - The great news is that the 9 of us should have a very reasonable area each to display our images. The area will consist of a 6ft width of wall. We need to allow a reasonable clearance area above where Laggi's new tables will be, but we have room for 2 levels of frames, as the height of the wall is 8ft.

There will definitely be sufficient room for 5 images. As we have decided that size and type of frame is at each contributor's discretion, you all have creative freedom to plan your own area within its boundaries. Please contact me should you require further clarification on the space available. If required, I would suggest a visit to the cafe, so that you can visualise your 'space' and work out how many frames you wish to hang initially.

3 - An area of gallery space will be reserved for those wishing to exhibit on a temporary basis. This will be positioned accordingly so as to avoid gaps in the permanent display.

4 - Lisa is going to produce a poster of the proposed 'first batch' of images from contributors. Please send these to Lisa asap in a suitable format for printing. If insufficient images are received, Lisa will go ahead using the images submitted previously for the Library Exhibition.

Graham will print these posters for us.

One poster to be framed and hung upstairs with images, one to be positioned downstairs to attract viewings.

5 - Contributors can use their own choice of frame and display arrangement within their given area.

6 - A club bio ( already prepared) will be organised by Lisa for display -to encourage new members and inform the public about how wonderful we all are :lol:

7 - Image labels (with prices) will be the responsibility of each contributor-and these can be styled to individual requirements -as long as they are neat, professional and maintained.

8 - Contributors can display a bio for themselves if desired. Format is of their own choosing, as long as it looks professional.

9 - Rotation of images can be on a monthly, or bi-monthly basis , at the discretion of the exhibitor.

10 - A list of exhibitors, including email addresses and mobile numbers will be made available to the owner, for him to contact individuals re sales or any problems. Please can you provide me with a best contact number and email in order that I can prepare and deliver this to Laggi. Please can you do this within the next 7 days, so that it can be organised ready for the hanging date.

11 - The owner will receive 20% of any sale proceeds. This is favourable versus the average % charged.

12 - Exhibitors will be asked to contribute a small sum towards the cost of bubble wrap for packaging of any sold images. This is expected to be no more than 50p. A contribution of £2 each is suggested at the outset, in order to cover this and any incidentals that we may need, such as wall fastenings. I hope that this is acceptable. It will be collected at our next meeting.
Graham is happy to provide packaging tape for wrapping any sold items.

13 - I have today spoken to Natasha, the manageress of Tindalls, in order to see if the shop is happy to donate a small supply of bags for any sold frames. Natasha is keen to help and will provide a selection of sizes for us. She is also happy to display a flyer for us re our 'residency' at The Slice -and I have notified Lisa so that she can produce a small version of her poster for that purpose. Please let us know if you can think of some other venues who would be happy to display a 'flyer' for us and Lisa can get Graham to print accordingly ...

14 - Lisa and I will be visiting IKEA next Thursday 10th March to buy further frames for ourselves.
Please let us know if you have any orders.
Review the choices on the IKEA website and put in your request asap.

I hope that all the above info makes sense and that you are all suitably keen to get going ...
Please post any queries on the forum. Many thanks to everyone who has already contributed/ volunteered to help with this project.

We are all looking forward to what is a marvellous opportunity for Colchester Creative Shots as a club - and the creative freedom it allows us as individuals :D

Happy Printing & Framing !!!

Amanda x

Trevor

Re: The Slice Gallery Permanent Exhibition

Post by Trevor » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi Amanda.

I have sent you a private message with my contact details.

Trevor

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi Folks,
Last call for images for the poster as I'm going to work on it tomorrow.

Plus just seeing if there is an improvement in email notifications as our new hosting company have done something technical that should improve it.

Graham if you get this can you reply either to me or the forum as it was your incident of non-receipt that she was looking into.
Thanks everyone.
Lisa

Graham

Post by Graham » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:23 am

Got it

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:03 pm

Just recently got back from (yet another) trip and am catching up. Thanks to Amanda and the Slice team for their work on this exciting project. Just one detail missing - the names of the other 4 contributors in addition to the 5 present at the meeting. I trust I am one of them! Phil BTW Lanzarote is great for photography!

Fivedeed

Post by Fivedeed » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:51 pm

Hi Phil

Yes !

We counted you into the project, as we knew that you would be interested ... :D

There are the following contributors -:

Ian
Kate
Gwyn
Yourself
Colin
Trevor
Graham
Lisa
Amanda

Very exciting indeed !

Amanda x

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:19 am

Hi Guys, I am very very sorry but I can't do the hanging on the 17 March.

Joe has got tickets for the O2 Muhammad Ali exhibition on that day and has booked a half day holiday so we can see it together.

I am afraid I won't be able to make it that day

Graham I am so sorry as I said I would hang your images for you.

Ali has been one of my heroes since I was a kid and Joe wanted to see the exhibition as well so bought the tickets as a surprise.

I am sorry guys I feel I've let you down.

Trevor

Graham

Post by Graham » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:59 am

Hi Trevor

No problem, yours will need hanging as well, so we will have to rely on some kind soul,
or do it ourselves at the following weekend?

Obviously you are off the Christmas card list

Graham

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Hi Graham, thanks for being so good about it.

I do feel bad as I wanted to be there and help.

Hopefully enough of the guys can be there to hang. If not I will go in on the Saturday and hang them.

Will miss the Christmas card, highlight of the year!

Trevor

Fivedeed

Post by Fivedeed » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi Trevor and Graham !

I'm trying to establish whether Phil is coming to the 'hanging' -and have sent a direct email a few minutes ago.

If so, we should be ok with 5 of us to hang our own plus 3 extra sets.

You will have to do a plan for how you want it to look plus where labels are to go etc -but shouldn't be a problem. I would rather get them all up on the first day to ensure the spaces 'work' etc.

TREVOR- your frames are at Lisa's - can you let her know what you want to do re collecting them ... Colin needs to collect some as well, so I have asked him what he wants to do...I don't know if you want to liaise with him re one of you collecting both sets? I'm not sure how close you live to each other ...

GRAHAM - will I get a Christmas card if I hang you images ? ;)

Amanda xx

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:59 am

If it helps anyone, please find attached the Word document that I used for the labels last year.

It prints with faint borders so you know where to cut.
Attachments
slice.doc
(37 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:10 am

Thanks Lisa - that is indeed helpful

Graham

Post by Graham » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:31 am

Thank you Amanda

Of course you will be on the card list, I still have many Woolworth bargain basement variety packs

Graham

Fivedeed

Post by Fivedeed » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:56 am

Thanks Lisa for the label info ...

Thanks Graham re Christmas card - the anticipation is immeasurable :lol:

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:42 pm

Does anybody know when the bollards are down to give access to Culver Street and the times when the Slice is open. I will have 5 of Kate's and 5 of my own pictures so access by car is crucial if at all possible.

Joe will you be there with your tools etc or do I need to bring my own?

Fivedeed

Post by Fivedeed » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:02 pm

Hi Phil !

As Joe is not exhibiting in the permanent exhibition, he will not be attending - therefore you will need to bring your own tools ...

Unfortunately, I do not know the answer regarding bollards.

Kind regards

Amanda

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:21 am

Hi Phil,
Found this link online http://www.colchester.gov.uk/article/13 ... t-Fixtures . Seems they close at 11:00am until 16:00pm.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:22 am

From Joe
Hi, in response to Phil's request: we have an alarm engineer booked for Thursday until 1:00 PM. I could come along for about 2:00 pm-ish to help out if that would be useful. Can discuss on Wednesday anyway.
Joe

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:28 am

Lisa you are one very resourceful lady! Well done and thanks - that is helpful. Phil

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:28 pm

Managed to park right outside the Slice tis morning to unload - great!

I noticed a couple of marks on the wall where tape had pulled some of the paint off - Joe if you can make it this afternoon perhaps you could bring your touch up kit?

Fivedeed

Post by Fivedeed » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi Everybody !

I want to say a really big, heartfelt Thank You to all the members who came to the 'Hanging Day' today at The Slice :D

It was great to see my project 'come together', thanks to some brilliant teamwork ...

Special thanks to Joe for helping, even though he is not exhibiting -your good eye and practical skills were much appreciated.

To the guys who couldn't make it today - I hope you will be pleased with our efforts to display your photos to their best advantage. Colin, Gwyn, Phil & Joe did a superb job putting up several displays over the course of the afternoon !

The final result is a VAST improvement over the sad, bare walls of the cafe -and there are some truly superb images for the people of Colchester to feast their eyes upon ;)

Here's to many months of successful exhibiting at The Slice Cafe !!

Thanks Again Everyone for your hard work !

Amanda xx

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi guys and a thank you from me. I received a photo and am more than happy with your arrangement.

Many thanks for all your hard work everyone.

Trevor

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:13 pm

I popped in the Slice this morning whilst I was in town to double check nothing had fallen down in the night - all is still looking good. Met Phil doing the same thing :).

I forgot to mention to Phil, someone left behind a tape measure yesterday. It is a sliver square one. I've taken it home with me so it is safe at mine.

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:09 pm

Yes it does sound like mine - so keep it safe Lisa - thanks

Fivedeed

Post by Fivedeed » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:28 pm

Hi fellow Exhibitors !

Anyone that happens to pop into The Slice before next Wednesday...I wonder if you could change my labels around on the 2 Rusty A3 photos for me please ?!
I looked at a photo of my images and I seem to have put them the wrong way round -doh ! :lol:

The Left one should be Rusty at Hillhouse Wood and the Right, Rusty at Sudbury Water Meadows !! They are on Velcro so should pull off ok for re- fitting the other way round.

I am in Birmingham for the Photography Show and can't get to the gallery till next weds....

No worries if no ones going in - I don't expect it will matter too much !

Thanks

Amanda xx