Slice Watch

PhilBrew

Slice Watch

Post by PhilBrew » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:32 pm

As at 14 September 2017 - the Slice Liaison Team (Slice Watch) consists of: Phil (pro tem Convenor); Elaine; Jonathan; Katie; Ian; and Trevor

We will need to work out as we go along the best way to make this work. For the moment I suggest that whenever anyone finds that can take a look at the displays they come onto this 'Slice Watch' topic on the Forum (Creative Shots Home Page > Exhibitions > Slice Watch) and give a brief report, which hopefully will usually be "all well". If we find that we get reports a couple of times a week on average with this unstructured system that will do the trick. If not we will need to think about setting up a more systematic rota.

I was in this morning and apart from straightening a number of the photos on display (it's surprising how often this is required!) all was indeed well. But the surprise was that the four images of the 'interloper' Steven Harper at the far end of the gallery have disappeared. The four hooks were still there so I removed them and made good the holes. As it is a Thursday, Lagi was not there - his brother George stands in for him every Thursday and George has no interest at all in the exhibition so it is no use trying to talk to him about it. So I have still to find out what the story is but I hope it means we can now use this space for another CCS member to put up an individual display, and I will try too arrange this asap.

PhilBrew

Re: Slice Watch

Post by PhilBrew » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Looked in on 14 and 18 September. Lagi confirmed SH space now available to us. Asked Jonathan to fill it - he plans to put two A3 images there. Need to rethink original allocation of individual spaces to accommodate new members . Do we reduce the size of each allocated space or simply share spaces chronologically i.e. a non-displayer takes over a current display space for, say three or six months. Joe is already planning to take over Gwyn's space on this basis and Ian and Jim have a similar arrangement. See how things evolve but everyone who wants to display should be able to. Thoughts?

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Checked on 25/9 - all OK. Went in again today with Jonathan (having agreed by text message with Lagi) arrived about 3.45, stayed till 5 but normally Lagi prefers to be away a bit earlier, say 4.45. Jonathan put up his 4 pictures - 2 at each end of the wall. He found a new way of displaying his labels - he attached them to the back of the frame at the very bottom such that they are visible below the frame when hung without being attached directly to the wall.
Amanda was in earlier and removed her images. This leaves a space about 2m15 wide (about 1m80 allowing for separation spacing). Elaine and Katie are planning to use it, possibly as a joint display, but until they are ready to hang (which may not be very soon) I'd like to see the space filled on a temporary basis with some 'place holder' pictures. So if you have any framed photos that could go up more or less immediately, please let me know asap - otherwise I can use some of mine, but would prefer not to.

Lagi also expressed his views on prices, based on the reactions he has observed from his customers. He thought £30-£40 framed was a reasonable going rate for the larger A3 images. So our decision to ask £25 for the Group Display images seems about right.
Then Lagi talked about the framed embroideries on the pink wall at the bottom of the staircase. He wants to move those upstairs to a wall not currently adorned with artwork - round behind the loo block. He would like to replace them with some sort of art work - paintings, prints, maybe even photos, but they would have to be quite small and fitting them artistically into that odd shaped space would be a challenge. Lagi would be open to suggestions from us. Any thoughts?

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:02 pm

Hung 5 place holder photos to give Katie and Elaine time to prepare their display without feeling under pressure.

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:40 am

Ian changed his images. Will reconfigure display some time soon to give Jonathan's more breathing space. Otherwise all well. Thanks Ian.

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Katie and Elaine's joint display is now up. Well done both.

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:56 pm

Colin today refreshed his individual display with five great new images.

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:22 am

Lisa recently refreshed her display with four great shots of church windows, making a strongly coherent group. Well done.

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Members of the Slice Watch team - please note I shall away from 14 December to 4 January, so if you could pop from time to time and keep an eye on the displays that would be great. Festive greetings. Phil

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Colin sold not one but two of his photos - well done Colin! Also Graham removed one of his five in anticipation of a re-configuration planned for Saturday 10 Feb. I put up three of mine as temporary place holders to fill these three gaps. Big day coming up then on Saturday; Jim takes over Ian's slot in line with their time share deal. Colin was due to make way for Roger on the same basis but after a re-think there will still be room for three of Colin's alongside. Graham's remaining four will be re-hung more compactly with a layout inspired by Lisa's display. Jonathan sadly is not staying with us at least for 2018 so his split slot will become available - hopefully one of our new members will take it over. Watch this space! Those involved are due to appear at the Slice around 3.30 on Saturday - but no noise before closing time at 4 (we get to stay till 5 - cleared with Lagi). So new members don't be shy - let me know when you are ready to show.

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:33 pm

That’s great Colin well done, which two images did you sell?

Thanks for the update Phil.
Trevor

KarenJ

Post by KarenJ » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:42 pm

I'm going to make a point of visiting Slice to see the display. It sounds like a really fantastic opportunity. Remind what the next theme will be. I'll try to produce something :D

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi Karen - yes please do go to the Slice asap. You'll find not only the 10 images of the Group Display with the current theme of Insects. but also quite a number of Individual Displays by members. The theme of the Group Display is due to change in April and the new theme we agreed on at the January meeting is Signs of Spring. As a CCS member you are welcome to contribute to both the Group and the Individual displays. Let me know! I'll be publishing some Guidance Notes for the Individual Displays shortly.

Phil, Slice Displays Co-ordinator

KarenJ

Post by KarenJ » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:39 pm

Ahaa yes Signs of Spring! I have already been thinking about it. I'm off to Lake district at end of month so I shall have a day crawling around Grizedale forest looking for just that.
Many thanks :)

PhilBrew

Slice Individual Display Guidance Notes

Post by PhilBrew » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Here are the Guidance Notes

COLCHESTER CREATIVE SHOTS
The Slice Gallery, Culver Street, Colchester
Individual Display Guidance Notes

Eligibility
All CCS members are in principle eligible to display. In practice of course the space available is finite so ways have to be found to fit everyone in who wishes to display. Let me know and I will see how it can be done.

Start at the Slice
Go and look at the current displays in Slice and note the variations and similarities in style

Professionalism
Although we are basically an amateur group, we set ourself professional display standards (so no scruffy hand-written labels please such as those to be seen on the embroideries displayed by someone who is not a CCS member.)

Subject matter
Entirely up to you, (but try not to offend the good people of Colchester in case they complain to Lagi, the proprietor of the Slice!). Overlap with Group Display themes not excluded.

Printing
If you don’t print your own you may find other CCS members can help. Otherwise a local company called UISArt run by Alan Snaith at Elmstead Market is used and recommended by some members. See the Forum > Events > Exhibitions > Printing for Exhibitions and his website http://www.uisart.com A new printer called Blue Sky Printing are at 33 Sir Isaac’s Walk Colchester. Tell them you are a club member and they'll give you a 10% discount. One member recommends an on line firm called DS Colour Labs: “I ordered 8 prints which worked out about £1.30 per print including postage. http://dscolourlabs.co.uk/about/Print_Prices
As to size, the space lends itself to A4 and A3 prints as you will see when you visit.

Frames
Photographs should be in decent quality frames with mounts. The Range is one place to look for frames (and mounts if you do not cut your own). Some frames are sold with a mount but check carefully the size of any mount aperture. If it is 8x12 inches, a photo printed on A4 paper, length approx 11.7”, will be too short. B&Q also sell frames at reasonable prices. Tindall in Trinity Street sell frames and mounts but are rather more expensive. A frame for an A4 print might measure 35 x 46cm; for A3 allow a frame of 46 x 56cm. These are the external dimensions. Note that a 35 x 46 frame might be labelled as being 30 x 40, but this is the size of the recess for the glass or mount.

Choice of style is up to you, but remember that elaborate frames, apart from being more expensive, tend to draw attention away from the image. Glass is usually used but it is not essential, so think about taking the glass out. It makes the whole framed image lighter and so less likely to fall off and break. It also avoids reflections.

Labels
Experience has shown that fixing labels to the wall is problematic. One solution is to insert a stiff label into one corner of the frame. Another is to tape the label to the back of the frame at the side or the bottom so that the text shows beside or below the frame when hung. The label should show your name, title of image, price and Colchester Creative Shots
Example:
Ely Cathedral Tower Joan Smith COLCHESTER CREATIVE SHOTS £35 framed

Help is available in preparing such labels.
Spare a thought for the hard of seeing! Any text smaller than about 12 point will be difficult to read for many people, especially if not in black on a white or pale background.
If you want to give more information, whether about the exhibits or yourself, you can do so on a separate notice, but please ask advice about how best to fix it to the wall.

Price
It is part of our deal with Lagi, that all images displayed are for sale and that The Slice takes 20% of the sale price as commission. It has to be said that so far very few exhibits have been sold. It is of course up to you to set the price, but it should not be unrealistically high as this would amount to saying ‘not for sale’ in breach of our agreement with Lagi. If a sale does occur the exhibit is simply taken off the wall and the purchaser takes it away after paying Lagi, who will then inform the photographer. He needs to have an up to date contact – email or mobile. A replacement should be provided asap. Based on reactions from his customers, Lagi suggests that £30-40 is a realistic maximum price for a large (A3) framed photo, but you are free to diverge.

Hanging
When to hang. Banging nails/hooks into the wall is a noisy operation, disruptive to the customers, so we must be very sensitive to this. The Slice closes at 4 but Lagi often stays on until about 4.45, so this can be the ideal time to hang , (Monday-Wednesday and Friday-Saturday). Quiet operations can be done at other times. Instead of nails you could use screws (if you make a starter hole with a bradawl you won't need a plug). This has the advantage of not requiring noisy banging so hanging could be done at any time when there are not too many customers upstairs.

Instead of nails you could use screws (if you make a starter hole with a bradawl you won't need a plug). This has the advantage of not requiring noisy banging so hanging could be done at any time when there are not too many customers upstairs.

Liaising with Lagi
Always check with Lagi when is an acceptable time to do the work. Send him a text on 07784 504597. It is especially important to let him (and me) know if for any reason you are going to remove photos.
Note that Lagi does not work there on Thursdays. His brother George stands in for him but it is no use talking to George as he wants nothing to do with the gallery.
We are responsible for making good any damage to the walls.
If you have bulky material to bring you can bring a car into Culver Street and stop outside the Slice to unload (not to park) before 11 a.m. (10 a.m. on Friday and Saturday) when the bollards go up closing off the street from Head Street. The bollards go down again (officially) at 4 p.m. Mon-Thursday, 5 p.m Fri-Saturday)

Ask for help
Don’t be afraid to ask for help with hanging – it is easier and more fun to do it with someone. Same applies to all other aspects of preparing and maintaining your display.

Phil Brew, Slice Display Co-ordinator, February 2018

Colin

Post by Colin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:04 pm

So Trevor asked which two I sold. Always a surprise and I believe no help in deciding what sort of image to display!! I will try and attach so you can ponder the question. :)
thumb_DSC_0228_1024.jpg
thumb_DSC_0228_1024.jpg (235.16 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
Attachments
thumb_DSC_0113_1024.jpg
thumb_DSC_0113_1024.jpg (470.13 KiB) Viewed 1188 times

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:50 pm

Saturday 10th February saw big changes: On the main wall furthest from the window Colin refreshed his display and reduced it to three images which he moved along to make room for a new display by Roger - five square frames, a mix of black and white. Graham had already removed one of his five and refreshed the remaining four which were rehung in a formation inspired by Lisa's display. Meanwhile at the window end, Ian gave way to Jim with whom he is time sharing, so his five all new images are now on display. Opposite, Joe, time sharing with Gwyn, replaced her four frames with four of his own.
So lots of new images to see at the Slice. But new members can be found a space - let me know.

A couple of clarifications emerged from the operation. Lagi pointed out that if customers decides to buy, they want to be able to take the framed image home with them there and then. This really rules out selling pictures mounted but unframed. So in future, please bear this in mind - just give a price for the framed photo. This is to be seen as a condition of our deal with Lagi, who of course makes no charge for the display space itself.

Instead of nails you could use screws (if you make a starter hole with a bradawl you won't need a plug). This has the advantage of not requiring noisy banging so hanging could be done at any time when there are not too many customers upstairs.

Do remember to warn Lagi in advance if you are going to make any changes to your display, avoiding Thursdays when he is not there. Send him a text on 07784 504597

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Mon May 21, 2018 6:37 pm

A quick update -

Delighted to report that our four newest members - Bruce, Hilary, Karen and Michele - are all keen to display their photos at the Slice.

Jonathan, no longer a member, has recently removed his four images (two by the window - east side - and two at the opposite end of the gallery). This has left space by the window for Karen's four Lake District images, as the frames, though in landscape format, are only 40cm wide. (I have not in the end had to squeeze Jim's display a little as I'd thought). Karen bought her frames at the Range in their Rustic series - £4.79 including an A4 mount. I went in today and used screws (quiet) rather than nails (noisy) which meant I could go any time and not have to wait till closing time at 4 p.m. I managed to hang three but had a problem with the fourth, now fixed. I'll go in again tomorrow morning to finish the job.

Meanwhile, Trevor, having recently sold two of the five he had on display, has kindly agreed to relinquish temporarily (i.e. do a time share) his space on the west wall next to the window. This is one of the original generous spaces allocated to the first nine members when the permanent exhibition was first set up. It is more than 2.5 metres wide so can now, in these more straitened times, accommodate displays by two members. We'll see which two of the three remaining newbies are the first to produce their framed images for hanging. As for the fourth, some more space management will be required....

Just a reminder about the Group Display - currently GD3 Signs of Spring. The next theme will be Macro/Close up (we have a practical evening session devoted to this on 20 June). The deadline for your offers - to me - is 17 July, hanging planned for 20 July.

Enjoyed my visit to Jim's Dog Agility Show this weekend - will try to put a couple of doggiie shots up on the forum.

PerrinM

Post by PerrinM » Mon May 21, 2018 10:24 pm

I hope to sort my photos out tomorrow evening. My theme is orchids. They are my love and I have nearly 80 of them at home and always photographing them. Will update tomorrow.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Tue May 22, 2018 6:49 am

As I am one of the original exhibitors and am due to refresh my display, I am happy to relinquish my spot to a new member that would like to exhibit.

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Thu May 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Thanks Lisa. Noted. Will let you know as and when... Phil

PerrinM

Post by PerrinM » Thu May 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Not sure if you all ready knew but I went into Blue Sky Printing in town and they will give members 10% off, just let them know you belong to the camera club which i thought was good. Going to get them to print my pictures, 8x10 would be £5 each but will bring them down to £4.50. I have bought my frames so just choosing the pictures.

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Thu May 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Looking forward to seeing your framed images Michele. You don't mention mounts but I assume you have these and that they are the right size for the frame and for the prints. Please remember to ensure the prints are properly taped to the mounts with the correct tape (available from Tindall's in Trinity Street). We've had a couple of cases where prints have slipped down after hanging due to not being taped. The tape is a bit like masking tape but specially designed not to damage the print. Let me know when you're ready to go. Phil

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:28 am

Michele's three beautiful orchid images now up. So Bruce and Hilary, how are you plans coming along? I'm away now till early July but hope to hear from you then. Phil
Attachments
Michele's three at Slice.jpg
Michele's three at Slice.jpg (138.83 KiB) Viewed 723 times

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:23 pm

Joe shoots to the top of the Slice Sales League Table! A customer saw his four images on display and bought the lot in one fell swoop. So now there are four empty spaces but Joe is already preparing four more images to replace them. Well done Joe!