Possible expo venue

PhilBrew

Possible expo venue

Post by PhilBrew » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:47 pm

I have just been into the Octagon building in Middleborough, Colchester and spoken to the person in charge of the exhibition space there (the enclosed bridge across to the multi-storey car park). This is definitely a potential site for a future CS exhibition in my view, but it would be good if as many CS members as possible could go and look at it and form a view. You go in the main entrance opposite the car park. At the reception desk say you'd like to see the current exhibition. You'll be given a Visitor name tag and asked to sign in the visitors book. Then take the lift up to the first floor and you'll see the door leading to the exhibition space. Although it is essentially a corridor it is quite wide and very attractive, with enough wall space for about 50 images - maybe more. there are only 24 pictures in the current art expo, but they are very generously spaced. The lighting is good - much better than Love Bistro! the advantages include: attractive space of the right size; no need for stands; open 24/7; car park on site; it is free for 2012 (or indeed earlier); there is no charge; we could have it for up to three months!; there is a cafeteria on the ground floor so a Private View would be no problem. The one big drawback would be that there is no 'passing traffic' (except, presumably, all the people who work in the building going to and from the car park!), so we would have to work hard on the publicity. If we held the expo for 3 months this would perhaps allow more people to see it - difficult to tell.

Trevor

Re: Possible expo venue

Post by Trevor » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:15 pm

Excellent Phil, sounds like a really good venue. Will pop in and have a view and a look around.

Trev

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:58 pm

I remember seeing advertised in one of the photo magazines a local photo group holding an exhibition here. Interesting that you say the light is good and the space is attractive as I always imagined it would be just a poorly lit corridor so definitely worth exploring.

PS I will move this topic to Exhibitions under Events :)

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:16 am

Trev (or anyone else) - if you give me a buzz on 07876763379 a bit before you go there I might be able to join you. But don't change your plans.

Perhaps I should add to the drawbacks the clean carpeted 'corporate' atmosphere, very different from the slightly bohemian feel of Love Bistro, and the fact that visitors have to sign in and wear a name tag.

There are still quite a few questions to be asked of course, but since the space has been used for exhibitions for a long time now, there must be answers!

Phil

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:41 pm

Have put a few shots of the Octagon expo space in the gallery.

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Have had another meeting with Jenny Simpson of the Octagon Gallery, and have asked her to pencil in April-June for Creative Shots. Obviously is subject to a decision by the group, and in no way intended to pre-empt that decision, but I thought that would keep that option open for us in the meantime. Hopefully we can have a discussion on the subject at our next meeting, but it would be helpful if members could pop in and have a look for themselves - or at least cast an eye over the photos I posted of the gallery space.

Phil

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:56 pm

Just to clarify - we are talking April-June 2012! Phil

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi Phil,
I had a look at the images you posted in the galleries. Looks quite wide and spacious. Quite different to what I was expecting.
Thanks
Lisa

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Have a look at this - it show what is in store for us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPzUudKJyeU Phil

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Gosh so we have to hang them ourselves this time :shock: