Slice of Colchester

Colin

Slice of Colchester

Post by Colin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Great News. The Slice have said that we can use their upstairs exhibition space during August and September, (Well done Sarah), which will give us plenty of time to get ourselves ready. We will be making a fact finding visit to ascertain arrangements soonest, and plan to report back to the May meeting. So, more later... Colin

Colin

Re: Slice of Colchester

Post by Colin » Mon May 19, 2014 4:35 pm

The exhibition at the Slice will commence on the 18th August until the 14th September or thereabouts. We plan to set up on the Sunday the 17th. We now need to know:-
Names of those who wish to participate
Number of images to show and price (Note limited to 5 images each member to start with)
Size of image (i.e. frame size or mount size)
Ideally we would like them framed but mounted images without frames are acceptable.

More details to follow...
Colin

Colin

Post by Colin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:15 pm

The exhibition date is now rapidly approaching and in order to finalize the advertising material we require each exhibitor to let Lisa have a thumbnail of each image to be shown together with the title of the image. Also please state whether they will be mounted or framed and external sizes for each.
Thumbnails should be no larger than 300dpi and 900 approx on the longest side.
Committee agreed that prices should be as follows: A4 mounted only - £15. A4 Framed - £20. A3 mounted only - £20. A3 Framed - £25. Canvas - £30.

Colin

Post by Colin » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:59 pm

More news...
Re pricing. We took the decision on Wednesday, that if you are planning to exhibit images already prepared members should be allowed to quote their own price to enably them to recover the cost of production. If you need to sell at a higher price than we qouted earlier please let Lisa know what your pricing will be.

Further, we have arranged with the slice to have coffee/tea/juices plus some nibbles etc available on Tuesday 19th August for our viewing evening. Note we have catered for about 50 people.

And if you are unable to deliver images on the Sunday (17th) please contact either Sarah or Joe who will make arrangements with you.

Lastly, if you still have questions, please let us have them as soon as possible.
thanks
Colin

NinaS

Post by NinaS » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:57 pm

Hello,

I have some photos I would like to put into the exhibition (nervous!!) Can you tell me how I get the thumbnails sent over?
Thanks, Nina

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:37 am

Hello,

I have some photos I would like to put into the exhibition (nervous!!) Can you tell me how I get the thumbnails sent over?
Thanks, Nina
Hi Nina,
I received your message above in my email but I can't find it on the forum to reply to - weird :? *****. Anyway, there is a couple of ways you can get your thumbnails to me.
If you have resized them so they are not a huge file size, you can email them to me direct.
if you want to send across big files not resized you can use the service of dropbox. Dropbox is a good way of sending files anyway - big or small. Dropbox provides online storage for your files which you can then share with any one else by giving them access to a particular file or folder with an invitation using their email address. You would need to create an account. I will send an email out to members via an email in a mo which you can use to sign up. There is help on getting started but if you get stuck, just ask and I will post further instructions.

PS You get 2.25GB of free storage with Dropbox which is fine for sharing files but also good to use online storage for back-ups of your precious photos :) although 2GB does't go very far but you can upgrade.

*****Edit - found original posting. It needed approving as it was your first posting.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:04 am

Thank you to all those that have sent me their thumbnails. I have incorporated all the ones I have received into the publicity poster and leaflet. There are some 'spaces' left for a few more. I am hoping to have the publicity material completed by the middle of the week (end of 23rd) to allow reasonable time for printing and then distribution. Therefore if you could send them to me before then that would be great otherwise, I will go ahead with what I have got.

I also need them all in order to send them across to Alice from the Slice cafe. I'm not sure when she needs them so will post back when I have a date.

I will also need by the end of next week (Friday 1st Aug) the titles of all your photos so I can compile a list for the labels that will go on the wall beside the images.

Apologies for being so bossy but time is running away with us!

creativeadmin
Site Admin

Post by creativeadmin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:37 am

Message from Kate
Where and at what time do I deliver my pictures on 17th? Kate

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:17 am

Please find attached a digital mini version of the poster that you can use as an email invitation for the preview evening.

Any problems with accessing/downloading, let me know.
Attachments
invitation.jpg

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:20 am

I will be picking up the posters from Eric later today and plan to meet up with Colin at the Slice cafe on Friday afternoon to start distribution. If anyone would like a poster to put up somewhere and you can make Friday, please come along too. If you can't make it and you want a poster, contact me and we'll try and work out a way of getting it to you.

Sarah I know you wanted one - does Friday suit you?

PS There isn't a 'button' to click to download the poster attachment in the above message. Instead the easiest way is to right click the poster with your mouse and choose something like 'save as..' or 'download image as..."

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:51 am

What time Friday at Slice?

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:27 pm

Not yet finalised.
What time suits people? I can do any time.

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:57 pm

How about 4 o'clock?

Colin

Post by Colin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:00 pm

4pm's fine with me, Colin

StuartB

Post by StuartB » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:12 pm

I cannot make Slice on the 8th but would like 2 posters. Is it possible I could collect from somebody.

I also need to talk to someone re our Email system as I cannot get my head around how it works

Regards to All

Stuart

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi Stuart, you can talk to me :) .

If you want to reply to a posting made on the forum for which you have received notification in an email, you need to log on to the forum to do this. However, within the email notification there is a 'reply' link which if you click will automatically open your web browser and providing you are logged on, take you directly to the correct place on the forum for you to start typing your reply.

If you don't press reply in the link area of the email but reply as you would normally do when using your email account, you will be replying to the sender of the email which is this forum's admin i.e.me and me only.

Hope this helps, but let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

As for the posters, what part of town do you live? Maybe someone could pop some round to you?

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:01 pm

We are meeting up at 10:00am and will there for a while but as near to 10:00 as you can make it would be great.

Colin

Post by Colin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi, Just a reminder to all the volunteers helping with the hanging on Sunday that we are meeting at 10am. The sooner everyone is there with all their images the sooner we will be able to commence making decisions as to what is going to be hung where. Colin

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:06 pm

hanks Colin,

Just to let you all know the loading bays in the high street are not restricted on Sunday.
They are the first two on the left as you turn into the high street, then there is the motor cycle
bay then the third loading bay, also on the left. Easy walking distance to the Slice…..

Joe

dodopictures

Post by dodopictures » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:50 am

Thanks for the info, Joe.

Colin

Post by Colin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:02 pm

A quick update on the Exhibition. I have been in again this morning and discovered that we still have some images that are reluctant to stay on the wall. Originally, there were issues with the paperclip appoach which I hope may now be resolved but if the mounts continue to leave the paperclip behind and head earthwards we will have to try a different approach. There are three images where the front and rear mounts keep parting. One is my feet image by the front window and the other two are Stuart's Boys are back and Maigret. I have re-attached with as much double sided tape as space will allow, but if they part again we will need to try a different adhesive method or different hanging method. Amanda, I'm afraid your Limestone & Lace image is also not now on the wall and I did not have any material to re-attach it. It is now resting on the shelf by the sofa. Is it possible that you could deal with this? Phil, one of yours over the stairs could do with a little extra stick on the bottom left hand corner.
Finally, if any of us are in town, please could we pop in and see if there are any issues we need to deal with, the morning staff, who i know, are putting anything they find away from harm, but it is important for our image to keep the exhibition looking it's best. There is no obligation to buy coffee||
thanks. Colin

StuartB

Post by StuartB » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi All

I will get into town on Friday lunch time and sort mine and if possible any others. I will be in town on Wednesday next week and will look in.

Stuart

NinaS

Post by NinaS » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Hello all,

I am hoping to be in town tomorrow, so can also look in.
Nina

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:38 am

I will be there mid morning today with my super strength tape and will see what I can do.

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:57 am

OK I have been in and fixed all our fallen idols, including Eric's Dog's Dinner which seemed to have decided that the proper place for a Dog's Dinner was on the floor. So Stuart, no need to go in specially today.

There are others which still look a bit precarious so we do need to keep an eye on them. Also many of the labels are tending to curl away from the wall but I have not attempted to rectify that.

This is a link to some shots taken by Ken Chambers - http://www.pbase.com/greymist/photoexpo_2014 He would like us to suggest captions - any thoughts? Who is the guy in the checkered shirt?