Next Year's Programme

Information and updates on monthly meetings
Lisa

Next Year's Programme

Post by Lisa » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:50 am

Could all members have a think about what they would like to see on next year's programme and post some ideas here.

We welcome suggestions for:
Monthly themes
Photoshoots
Practical sessions
Technical sessions
Guest speaker

For new members, this is where we ask for recommendations for speakers and ideas for practical sessions, themes and photoshoots for the following year. So please feel free to submit your suggestions here. I'll collate them in a spreadsheet for perusal at December's meeting.

The committee will then look at the preferred options for incorporating into next year's program.
Lisa

Ian-Raymant

Re: Next Year's Programme

Post by Ian-Raymant » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi LIsa,

A few ideas for you -

Maybe an organised trip to the Photography Show at the NEC - 16 - 19 March 2019. I will be going on the Sunday and staying over for the Monday but happy to help organise. Can present an overview at the next meeting if you wish.

Monthly Themes -
Trees
Candid
Long exposure - know we ran this last year but maybe we could direct it at a specific topic such as people.
Photoshoots - A canal/waterway such as Lee Valley or boating event.
Shingle Street
Cambridge/London - architectural
Practical Sessions -
Use of flash
Macro/Close up
Technical Sessions -
Printing
Lightroom, Affinity, Elements - tutorials
Guest Speaker -
Anthony Cullen - based at Pin Mill - reportage - The Observer - may be worth a try.
Ann Miles - Know that Joe has tried to contact her, maybe worth a second try - superb black and white images

Hope they're of some help !

Regards

Ian

Richie

Post by Richie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi,
In addition to Ian's ideas how about a "Photo Marathon"?
Each member is given the same topics i.e. Perspective, Colour, reflections etc. (may be up to 12 in total) and given 6 hours in which to complete the task. Each photographer submits their interpretation of the subject at a future meeting. The task can be completed in any location but must be at the same date and time.

I am Joel

Post by I am Joel » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:35 pm

This morning I pondered what might be interesting activities for next years programme. Here are some ideas I’ve had:

1) Book reviews, everyone brings in their favourite photography book and shares about it.

2) Trip to a small working facility, f.i. flour mill, metal workshop, foundry, potter....

3) Project: shadows, take photographs where the dominant feature is shodow

4) Photoshoot or monthly shoot project: Urban decay

5) Book discussion: everyone reads the same book and we have a round table discussion

6) Photojournalism, arrange for a photojournalist to speak with the next month’s assignment to take news shots.

7) Project for the year: create our own cookbook. One to a few recipes each. Possibly pick a theme or maybe just totally ad hoc. Maybe have a meeting devoted to doing food photography.

9) Time laps photography

10) Try to arrange for Whitewall to present an evening on professional printing and photo books.

11) Night street photography

12) Colour vs monochrome: produce an image (or images) both ways. Discuss what worked and didn’t for each picture/rendition

13) View from the bus: take a bus trip—or a few—and photograph what goes on and by.

14) Food landscapes: The idea stems from a food delivery company’s trucks that has very creative landscapes created with vegetables. I googled “food landscapes” as amazed at how much nice stuff exists https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=food+ ... 66&bih=894

15) Fine art food

16) Shoot the undesirable: preselect one, or few, places/things that you feel have no attraction for photography. Now go make great photos of them.

17) A year long project: Make one photograph that strongly represents each month

Jim Spurgeon

Post by Jim Spurgeon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:53 pm

Photo shoots-
Marks hall sculptures 20th July - 1st September

Agree with Ian on canal or waterway somewhere

Mersea island ?? (Various things beaches, harbour, mudflats)

Themes-
Vehicles (gives opportunity of action shots, close up shots etc)

Technical session-
Depth of field / selective focus

PerrinM

Post by PerrinM » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi to Everyone
Firstly apologise for not being in touch over the last few months, just had a bad run of some personal stuff, however, life looks to be back on track so should now be showing up regularly again, plus I have treated myself to a lovely new camera!

Love the idea of Mersea Island and canal shoot. The Year long project with monthly photos sounds good. Unfortunately not so keep on the Photo marathon think I would struggle with this as still an amataur.

A trip to the Zoo could be fun but understand there is a cost in this.

Book review, PhotoBook, love this idea as I have done rather alot of these and love the challenge in putting one together to tell a story (currently have 3 on the go).

Can someone please confirm date of December meeting so I can pop in as not sure what it is.

Looking forward to a wonderful 2019 with you all and taking some lovely photos and gaining confidence and experience along the way.

Michele

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:33 pm

Hi Michele good to hear from you. Sorry to hear you've had personal problems but look forward do seeing you back on track as you say and with us at Creative Shots. The December meeting is, exceptionally, on the second not the third Wednesday of the month so 12 December. You should find it on the programme page of the website, Let me know if you have a problem finding it.

Best wishes Phil

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi all, some good suggestions here a few of my own.

Monthly themes Abandoned places, fireworks/Fire, In the rain, Looking Down(from a height), Winter skies, Shoot the Moon!
Photoshoots Like the sound of Ians so will second his options I would like to visit shingle street and revisit Cambridge.
Practical sessions Smoke trails and a macro session
Technical sessions- Astrophotography
Guest speaker Any one interesting who will bring something new.

Also Hi Michelle, nice to hear you are returning and look forward to seeing you at the December meeting!

Trevor

lainey56

Post by lainey56 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi, I'm sorry to have missed so much this year. I struggle to get back from babysitting in Chelmsford on a Weds but hopefully will be better in New Year.
I live the sound of the majority of ideas and would love to be able to get along to them.
Hope everyone is well and I will be able to make December meeting.
Colin, hope you are recovering well
Elaine x

Jim Spurgeon

Post by Jim Spurgeon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:25 pm

A couple of more ideas

Photoshoot. Sudbury

Practical session. Light painting revisited (really enjoyed the session with guitars)

Also how about a year long project, seasons in 4 photograph's. During 12 months capture and choose your best shots, 1 for each season. Then show all 4 shots together.

robertofbaycot

Post by robertofbaycot » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:36 pm

Some great ideas coming in!

One thing I'd like to know more about is pros & cons of using big (large aperture lenses). Would anyone like to give a talk on use of lenses?

Unfortunately I won't be able to come to the next meeting since I have a Christmas clash.

Look forward to seeing you all in the New Year.

Robert

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:09 pm

Thanks for all your ideas everyone.
Ideas for photoshoots:
Lavenham
Another Victorian graveyard
Wild ponies at Wicken Fen Nature Reserve
Malden/Heybridge for barges
Pin Mill
Early morning autumn (misty) Flatford

Speakers Justin Minns, Ruth Grindrod (both landscape photographers)