Re February Practical sessions

Information and updates on monthly meetings
Trevor

Re February Practical sessions

Post by Trevor » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:41 am

Hi everyone, ahead of Februarys meeting I thought I would post a little note of what we are doing.

There are two themes, one using fairy lights and cut crystal glasses, vases or decanters. So if you have any crystal glass vessels you would like to try this technique with, bring them along with any coloured fairy lights you may have. Whilst Colin and I have had a little play with this technique we have only done this on one occasion( new learning curve) and it was quite interesting and hopefully members can get a few different images form this. The other session is on light Spirographs using a long exposure.

So a little about each.

Crystal and lights. Its likely you can hand hold on this technique, but you may want a tripod if you wish. Camera settings anything from f2.8 to f8 seems to work well. The idea is to have the background lights thrown into soft focus and concentrate on the bevelled cut glass. Shutter speed shouldn't be a problem as the lights should provide enough light to achieve a suitable speed say 1/125, you can always increase the ISO a little to achieve your desired minimum setting.As you will be getting close to the subject if you have a macro lens this may be more useful. However some of your kit lenses should focus quite close. You can always crop into your image in your editing soft ware for the best angle, colours etc.

For the spirographs you will definitely need a remote release either wireless or a longish cable release. Camera settings should be f8 to f11 and lowest iso you have, and be able to set your camera to manual and to bulb mode as exposures are typically around 2-3 minutes depending. You will also need to know how to switch your lens from Auto to manual once focus has been set. I suggest you try a long exposure with any of your remotes as you will need to keep the shutter open for a couple of minutes at a time. Just make sure you can do this with your remote. Some remotes have a with which covers the button to keep the shutter open. basic ones just require you to keep the button pressed down until your ready to stop the exposure.

You won't need to use a tripod for this. The idea is to set the cameras on the floor say 3-4 together with the light source above so we can get all members achieving a photograph they desire. This is an introduction to light spirographs so hopefully members can try it in there own time afterwards. We will be constrained by space and probably light leakage from the windows etc. However if any members have any black material they can bring with them to cover some of the more prominent light sources please bring them along so we can get the best images possible.

Hope the above has outlined the plan and given a bit of food for thought for what we are to do on the evening. Don't forget Phil may probably want some of the images for the group displays at the slice.

See you on the 20th. Any questions please post them here.

Trevor

Trevor

Re: Re February Practical sessions

Post by Trevor » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:54 pm

Hi everyone, ahead of Wednesday's meeting please can members confirm who is bringing any fairy lights and cut glass vases decanters etc with them?

We can then hopefully get a couple of people per station and everyone can get some images they are happy with.

See you all tomorrow.
Trevor

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Hi, I will bring a couple of tumblers, a cut glass mini-sphere, large diamond artefact and some fairy lights. Tried them at home and "not great" but will bring anyway.
Joe

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:24 pm

I don't have any vases or lights but will bring some black screening.
Lisa

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:28 pm

Thanks Joe, sounds intriguing. Lisa no worries, I think we will need plenty of black screening to block out the light.
Trevor

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:02 pm

I’m not allowed to bring family heirlooms but have some plastic imitation cut glass and other bits and pieces I can bring.

PerrinM

Post by PerrinM » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:47 pm

Hi
I will bring cut crystal bell shape decanter plus I think I have some fairy lights.
Michele

PerrinM

Hi
I will bring cut crystal bell shape decanter plus I think I have some fairy lights.
Michele

PerrinM

Hi
Michele

lainey56

Post by lainey56 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi
Am really sorry I can't make it tonight as I have put my back out and am struggling to get about.
I was hoping to come on Sunday but really don't know if my back will be better. Any chance I can decide on Saturday? Elaine

I am Joel

Post by I am Joel » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi all,
I also am sorry that I will not be able to make it tonight, Today we got an offer on an Italian property we have had on the market for two years. We *really* want to sell it :-D!! I have to speak with the realtor when my wife gets home from work. Hope everyone has s great time tonight.

Lisa, both my wife and I are on for the Sunday outing, Can yo please confirm if you have seats for us both in your car.

Cheers,
Joel

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:00 am

Just a quick note on last nights practical.

Thank you to all of you who attended and contributed in any way with regards to providing crystal vases, lights, blind material for cutting out light and those who ably assisted in helping the evening go smoothly. It was appreciated.

I do hope you all obtained at least some images you feel were worth keeping and more importantly enjoyed the evening.

These are both techniques you can do in your home so keep having a go and being creative. The orbs take a little more practice but it would be nice to see some of your efforts if members would like to try this in the gardens for example?

Thank you all.
Trevor

PerrinM

Post by PerrinM » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:11 am

Thank you for a very interesting evening. Loved what we did and felt more confident by the end of the evening.
Thank you for all support by members in assisting with help to make sure I got some good photos.

I feel very lucky to have stumbled across such a lovely camera group who have time for a novice like me and have already learnt new techniques.

Looking forward to Sunday.
Michele

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:15 pm

Regarding Sunday, does everyone know what you said Michele about parking at Redbridge rather than Newbury Park?

Regarding the meeting this week, Rob Price, (not yet a member - but intending to join - so not yet on the forum) sent a message and some shots:

Just a note to say I really enjoyed last night and would like to join your group. I'll sort out the membership form etc over the next few days.

I've attached 4 quick edits from last night. I'm most pleased with them and will definitely try these again at home.

All the best, Rob

BTW Rob is a professional photographer - his web site is https://www.robprice.photography

News of an exhibition of Rob's work:

I am delighted to announce that everything is now in place for my solo 'PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION' exhibition (Can't think for the life of me where I've heard that title before) at The Gallery which is situated within the Gosfield Shopping Village. (Directions below) The exhibition will run from Sat March 2nd through to Sat March 30th inclusive.

I am holding an informal preview on Saturday 2nd between 2.00 - 5.00 where there is a selection of Black & White and Colour Abstracts, along with my Lifestyle range of work available to buy as either framed or mounted prints. A selection of Blank Greetings Cards will also be available. Wine and nibbles will be on offer as well as 20% OFF of all marked prices for Sat 2nd and Sun 3rd only.

I would love to see you at the preview and please let me know if you can make it If you're not available, do try and pop along at some point. I'll look forward to reading your comments.
Attachments
image_4.jpg
image_4.jpg (233.78 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
image_3.jpg
image_3.jpg (591.18 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
image_2.jpg
image_2.jpg (330.44 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
image_1.jpg
image_1.jpg (438.69 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

PerrinM

Post by PerrinM » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:20 pm

According to my son, Newbury Park is the holding area for all buses being used for bus replacement therefore no parking so he suggested we went to next station, Redbridge to park instead.
Michele

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:40 am

Thanks Michele. I may be wrong but my impression is that the area where buses park at Newbury Park station is not the car park. The car park is accessed down a road to the right immediately after the station main entrance (coming down the A12 from Colchester) i.e behind the station. I don't think buses could access it. I think the buses use a large open area in front of the station. Anyway, if there should be a problem parking at Newbury Park, whether because of buses or simply because the car park is already full of cars, (should not be the case at the early hour we are planning to get there) it is good to know that Redbridge is only another ten minutes down the A12.

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:56 am

Regarding Rob Price's images from this week's meeting, they can be seen on the forum even though they don't show on the email. Click on the link in the email.

I plan to go and visit his exhibition in Gosfield Shopping Village on Saturday 2 March. I'll be leaving Colchester at around 3.30 if anyone would like a lift

Phil