24th Feb
26%
3rd March
21%

Total votes: 19

Lisa

Flower Market and Victorian Cemetery

Post by Lisa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:36 pm

At March's meeting we are viewing images on the theme markets. We hoped to have a club trip to one of the London markets and show these images at the meeting. As we haven't arranged a trip as yet, I am putting out some feelers for a trip to Columbia Road Flower Market which takes place every Sunday from 8:00am to 3:00pm.

A couple of us are keen to do another London Victorian graveyard photoshoot and as Abney Park, one of London's Seven Magnificent Cemeteries is near-ish perhaps we combine a trip there too??

Some more information:
A blog with some great photos https://www.alongdustyroads.com/posts/2 ... ndon-guide
It is recommended to get there early before the crowds.
The New Covent Garden flower market which is now located near Battersea Park opens at 4:00 am and closes at 10:00am (and not on a Sunday) and don't think realistically we would be able to get there early enough.

Timeout article on the London cemeteries for inspiration https://www.timeout.com/london/things-t ... -of-london. If members would prefer another of the cemeteries instead, that's not a problem.

I am happy to drive to Newbury Park where we can take the Central Line towards Mile End. It take about 45 mins to get to Newbury Park and 40 mins to get to Columbia Road so would aim to leave Colchester at about 6:45am.

I have listed some dates as a poll so if you are interested could you please tick all dates you can make. Thanks.
Lisa

lainey56

Re: Flower Market and Victorian Cemetery

Post by lainey56 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:12 pm

Hi Lisa

I can do 17th or 24th for flower market if you have room for me. Hopefully we won't have been hit by Beast from the East 2!!

Nice to see everyone tonight.

Elaine x

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Hi Lisa, I can do the last 3 dates, would be good if we could fit in a Victorian cemetery.
Trevor

PerrinM

Post by PerrinM » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:46 am

Hi Lisa
I can do the last 3 dates. Would appreciate if I could have a lift with someone as not very confident in finding Newbury Park.
The Victorian Cemetery looks (from the article link) good so would be happy to do this as well.
Do you need to bring a tripod or is it OK just to hands free with the camera?
This would be my first experience of taking photos out with a group so slightly out of my comfort zone.
Michele

I am Joel

Post by I am Joel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:38 pm

Hi Lisa,

I can make any of the dates. Including the cemetery would be real plus in my opinion.

I'd very much appreciate a lift if possible. I'd be happy to share the travel expenses.

Cheers,
Joel

Richie

Post by Richie » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:46 pm

Sorry I missed last night, mad day at work! Just to let you know that I would be happy to offer anyone a lift to the Flower Market/Victorian Cemetery shoot. Just let me know.

Ian-Raymant

Post by Ian-Raymant » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Hi Lisa,
I can do the last 3 of the dates in February and would appreciate a lift if possible.

Ian

JoeCaffery

Post by JoeCaffery » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:25 pm

Hi Lisa,
I can do the last 3 dates.
Joe

I am Joel

Post by I am Joel » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi,

If anybody is interested I just checked public transport. While GA has engineering works on the weekends until April, the National Express is a viable alternative. Colchester —> Stratford (by NE) —> London Liverpool (by train) —> Columbia Road Flower Market (by bus) takes 2 hours. The cost will be in the order of £20 to £25, including NE ticket and a London travel card.

The reason I researched is that I would like it if my wife Barbara joined us. Is there a policy about spouses tagging along on these outings?

Cheers,
Joel

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:47 pm

Thank you all for the great interest in the trip to London.

As far as I can tell, everyone who is interested can make the 17th or 24th February, I have therefore picked the 24th February to go but if somebody can’t make the 24th but can do the 17th, shout and I will swap it.

I’m not sure exactly of the numbers going but if there are 9 of us and two cars, hopefully it should be possible for all that would like a lift to have one but perhaps we can confirm numbers and travel arrangements at February’s meeting.

Michele, please don’t feel out of your comfort zone - just think of it as a day out with your camera with like minded friends who won’t mind waiting while you get in that perfect position for that perfect shot and will be happy to help you if you need any :). I am not going to take my tripod as I find it too heavy and cumbersome to carry far and although it may be useful in the cemetery, in the market I think it will get in the way.

Joel, your wife will be most welcome to join us on the day out:).

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:57 am

Thanks Lisa, sounds like we have a plan, and if there are a couple of cars going should be a good day out.

Looking forward to shooting something different👍🏻.
Trevor

Ian-Raymant

Post by Ian-Raymant » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:15 pm

Thanks Lisa, looking forward to the day out and a chance to try my hand at 2 different subjects. I doubt I’ll take a tripod either, for the same reason as you, it’ll be in the way!!
Ian

PerrinM

Post by PerrinM » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi Lisa
Please count me in as a definate for the 24th. Looking forward to it (without tripod :))
Michele

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:19 pm

Please find some travel notes for next Sunday's photoshoot in London so you know where we plan to go. We can discuss more at tomorrow's meeting.
columbiaroad-compressed.pdf
(233.75 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Lisa

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:43 am

A couple of shots from Columbia Road on Sunday.

A reminder that I shall be going to see Rob Price's exhibition at the Gosfield Shopping Village on Saturday, leaving Colchester at 3.30 - if anyone wants a lift?

Phil
Attachments
_-3.jpg
Columbia Road Busker
_-3.jpg (601.88 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
_-2.jpg
Strelitzia - Bird of paradise flower
_-2.jpg (154.08 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

PhilBrew

Post by PhilBrew » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Just a quick follow up to my note about new member Rob Price's exhibition at the Gosfield Shopping Village. I went there today and can recommend it as an enjoyable outing - not just for the exhibition, which is excellent, but for the collection of antique and craft shops there and good tearoom. The exhibition runs to the end of the month. The location is less than 30 minutes drive from Colchester.

BTW to see the two shots I posted from the Flower Marker outing you need to click on the link below.

Oh and I hope you have noted the theme for the next Group Display at the Slice - Light Play - and the deadline for offers to me by 11 March. I've not been inundated so far! Phil